Business Development Specialist
Posted: January 30th, 2023
Location: Modus Operandi HQ
1333 Gateway Drive, Suite 1026
Melbourne, Florida, 32901
Position: Business Development Specialist
(This position is available in Melbourne, FL)
The Company and Opportunity:
Modus Operandi is a knowledge management software company serving the U.S. defense and intelligence community. Our passion is harnessing data and technology to empower smarter decisions with Movia™, our flagship product. Movia provides living intelligence, helping organizations improve the quality and speed of their critical decisions. Our approach combines our advanced solutions that leverage next-generation semantic technologies, our team’s rare engineering and scientific expertise, and our rigorous and proven implementation methodology. We work hard for our customers and, as a result, they rave about us, providing a Net Promoter Score of 97, a rating unheard of in the software industry. This position is located in Melbourne, FL and we may consider remote location work, depending on location, network and qualifications.
Modus Operandi is positioned at an inflection point where we are looking for the right Business Development Specialist to help the company pivot from a revenue model based on services to a product/solutions centric revenue model deriving higher margins through product licensing / subscriptions.
You will be responsible for creating revenue growth, focusing on new customer acquisition, including penetration of adjacent markets. You will be supported by matrixed team members from our Programs organization for cultivating follow-on business from existing customers and from our Engineering Center of Excellence (ECoE) for sales engineering support.
You are a dynamic, influential, customer-facing technical sales and business development professional who can articulate value that solves customer problems and drive sales. You have a successful track record of selling technology to the government, have a keen business acumen, an understanding of the Government contracting industry and an aptitude for technology. You have the ability to make an immediate and measurable impact on top-line revenue growth for the business. Qualified candidates should have a detailed book of business to provide upon request and an extensive network of contacts in potential client organizations (government and prime contractor) and partner companies with a track record of leveraging this network to generate revenue.
As a member on our Sales and Business Development team, you will develop, qualify, and sell Modus products and services, and maintain relationships with government agencies and strategic prime contractors at all levels of the organization, especially military officers, high ranking civilians and senior management. You will be responsible for creating revenue growth, focusing on new customer acquisition, including penetration of adjacent markets. You will be supported by matrixed team members from our Programs organization for cultivating follow-on business from existing customers and from our Engineering Center of Excellence (ECoE) for sales engineering support.
- Establish and nurture industry and customer relationships to build and maintain a pipeline of new opportunities to qualify, pursue, and win. Execute call plans in support of pipeline.
- Own end-to-end new business opportunities across the lifecycle, from creating leads to closing deals.
- Research, locate, define, and target key new business prospects.
- Personally source, shape, properly qualify and manage new business opportunities through a well-defined sales management and Gate review process with visible metrics for management of the pipeline.
- Develop opportunity timelines and lead pursuit teams in winning value propositions that meet customer requirements, including analyzing critical business drivers and risks while meeting opportunity milestones and deadlines.
- Manage complex sales cycles from opportunity identification to contract close for multiple opportunities simultaneously.
- Sell computer software products and services to solve customer capability gaps and evangelize Modus Operandi products and services throughout the Government marketplace.
- Develop, maintain, and execute against account plans for Government clients and prospects
- Define and present compelling, customized value propositions and demonstrate Modus Operandi technology and solutions to prospects and clients.
- Use Salesforce CRM to manage all aspects of prospecting, opportunity management, forecasting, client communications, contacts, activities, and tasks to ensure success with respect to revenue and growth
- Represent Modus Operandi at tradeshows, meetings, trainings, industry associations, and events.
- Participate in capture and proposal development team activities to bid and win strategic opportunities, actively participates in writing compelling proposal content.
- Travels to visit customers (typically 25% depending on accounts).
Required Skills, Experience, and Education Requirements
- Proven successful history of selling software technology products directly to the Federal Government, preferably within DoD and the Combatant Commands.
- Minimum 5+ years recent, relevant experience of meeting and exceeding revenue goals in a technology sales environment, personally complex deals and winning contracts that provide complex software technology solutions to Federal clients.
- Familiarity with the DoD Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution (PPBE) processes (particularly budgeting, acquisition, and procurement processes).
- Familiarity with Government markets spanning major programs, R&D funding sponsors, Federal/National decision science markets.
- Proven track record of building relationships and effectively interfacing with senior command and executive civilian personnel.
- Team player with exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Must be comfortable managing/leading meetings both virtually and in person.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with key internal and extremal stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational skills, able to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and manage multiple tasks; both as an individual contributor and an opportunity lead.
- Demonstrated experience with Salesforce CRM.
- Ability to travel as required (typically 25% or more).
- Completion of a formal sales/prospecting training program (i.e., Sandler, Miller-Heiman, or equivalent).
- Bachelor’s Degree (Business, Technical or other relevant degree)
- S. Citizenship Required.
Desired Experience/Education Requirements
- Shipley Training (or equivalent) in Capture Management; or other Shipley training (Proposal Management, Cost Volume, Pricing to Win, etc.)
- Experience supporting capture management efforts, developing win themes, evaluating win probability; and coordinating internal resources.
- APMP, PMP certifications a plus
- Advanced Business, Technical, or other relevant advanced degree
- Active DOD Secret Security Clearance, Top Secret Preferred