Chief Operating Officer
Posted: December 3rd, 2020
Location: Melbourne, Florida HQ
1333 Gateway Drive
Melbourne, Florida, 32901
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic business operations leader to join our growing organization. In this position, you will play the lead role orchestrating all functions of our business to run like a well-oiled machine.
Modus Operandi is positioned at an inflection point where we are looking for the right leader to help the company pivot from a revenue model based on services to a product/solutions centric revenue model deriving higher margins through product licensing / subscriptions.
As COO you will be the force that translates our vision into plans and executes them into reality. You will be responsible for the results achieved by our entire team, driving continual growth, scaling our business operations, maintaining organization-wide focus on the right things, and ensuring everyone stays true to our core values. You will continuously improve all aspects of our operations by making data-driven decisions, identifying and removing blockers, and coaching and developing the senior leaders who report to you.
You: You will love this opportunity because you:
- Embrace the business management approach of the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS, AKA Traction).
- Enjoy the challenges of developing innovative software technology products and using these to create value for customers and your company.
- Are energized by the mix of strategic direction setting combined with hands on operational tasks such as providing oversight and day-to-day management across all business functions.
- Possess a self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment.
- Enjoy the challenges of identifying and entering growth markets while maintaining a sense of urgency to compress time-to-revenue and increase our return on investment.
- Thrive in an environment that fosters accountability and clarity of expectations.
- Have a passion for defining and streamlining SOPs, and are exhilarated by creating scorecards and instrumenting the business around key metrics.
- Insist on a culture that requires honesty and integrity, while embodying an ethos that goes beyond these basic expectations to include team spirit; fearlessness; continuous learning, honing and applying outstanding skills; and dedicated people willing to go beyond the call of duty and to always work toward the greater good.
Us: Over the past 35 years, Modus Operandi has provided its customers with innovative solutions for data management, data correlation and fusion, workflow, human-computer interface, cognitive computing, contextual pattern recognition, and machine learning analytics. Our newest innovative solution combines these advances into our flagship software product Movia™. Movia delivers our customers smarter decisions by mapping decisions to data, transforming data to living intelligence, and optimizing the collaboration of human analysts and machine analytics.
Consistent with the principles of EOS, in this senior leadership position you will:
- Faithfully execute the business plan, achieving or exceeding planned P&L objectives.
- Lead, manage, and hold the leadership team accountable for achieving agreed-upon commitments.
- Integrate all major operating functions of the business. Ensure everyone is rowing together in the same direction. Model the way, always working toward the greater good of the business.
- Resolve issues effectively—seeing real problems, being comfortable with conflict, calling out the problems, and solving the problems in a practical and healthy manner. Ensure the leadership team is healthy, functional, and cohesive.
- Ensure that everyone is truly following, and adhering to, the company’s core processes and operating system with consistency. Demonstrate effective project management skills.
- Dependably demonstrate a relentless obsession with values alignment, focus, simplicity, and clarity.
- Effectively collaborate with the Founder/CEO and stay on the same page. Maintain a high level of mutual respect with the Founder/CEO. Realize the unique contributions and ideas that the Founder/CEO has, and possess an ability to filter and translate those ideas into functional plans for the company.
- Confirm that all key messages are properly and consistently cascaded across the organization. Inherently ensure that everyone is in the know. Verify that a high level of effective communication exists throughout the organization.
Learn about the Opportunity
Our current primary market is the US defense and intelligence sector, with customers spanning the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, Missile Defense Agency, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. We typically support customer mission-environments where knowledge workers must share, collaborate and make decisions informed by data from multiple sources, in multiple formats, and representing multiple types of intelligence. Modus Operandi is a prime contractor, subcontractor or team member for major contracts supporting the defense and intelligence community, including RS3, SSES NexGen, SeaPort-NexGen, GSA and more.
In addition to growth with our existing customer base we are actively working to expand our target markets to include civilian US Government agencies and the commercial sector.
As COO you will:
- Drive top line revenue growth and increase profit margins.
- Work closely with our Sales & Marketing leader to develop recurring revenue streams, such as around product sales / subscriptions.
- Work closely with customers and prospects to understand and meet their needs.
- Establish and maintain key strategic partnerships.
- Build systems that maximize output and manage teams to provide incredible results to successfully execute a big vision.
- Provide high visibility and transparency to the Founder/CEO on all aspects of our business and proactively raise and resolve issues or risks.
As COO you will perform the following duties—personally or through subordinates:
- Be a world class leader and manager able to maintain high standards and inspire people to perform at their best.
- Maintain high level company-wide team morale and staff retention.
- Hold senior leaders accountable to their roles and responsibilities.
- Create personnel performance plans for your direct reports and perform performance reviews including written assessments.
- Make timely decisions regarding resource needs/requests.
- Work with the CFO to implement company-wide compensation programs.
- Ensure personnel are properly trained to perform all job functions and suitably use relevant tools.
- Ensure programs are in place that proactively support training and development for our people.
- Help shape and provide career development for your team and continuously develop the next generation of leaders.
- Drive continuous process improvement.
- Develop business plans, processes, and procedures for team members to use and abide by. Ensure clarity of goals and plans to achieve them.
- Develop and implement methods, procedures, and metrics/KPIs for monitoring and providing visibility to your team, the Founder/CEO, and Board of Directors.
- Ensure all processes and company best practices are FBA (followed by all).
- Provide clarity of budget allocations to functional organizations.
- Make clear, data-driven decisions to ensure peak ROI on all investments and follow up to ensure decisions are appropriately acted upon.
- Deep dive into problems or issues impacting strategic and operational goals that can’t be resolved by subordinate leaders. Discover and resolve the root causes.
- You will ensure that key information is timely communicated to relevant stakeholders, and as such need to communicate:
- Out – Communicating with customers, listening and understanding their needs or concerns, and coordinating company resources to help our customers achieve success.
- Up – Communicating status plans, results/outcomes, and metrics/KPIs to the CEO/Founder and Board of Directors.
- Across – Communicating with your peers and your senior leadership team.
- Down – Communicating news and decisions to all stakeholders.
Your Success Will Be Measured by The Following Key Performance Measures:
- Demonstration of the Modus Operandi Core Values both personally and across subordinate staff.
- Annual growth in company orders and top line revenue (with Orders greater than Revenue).
- Recurring product revenue increases as % of total revenue over time.
- Annual growth in EBITDA.
- NPS and eNPS stable or increasing.
- Establish all needed SOPs per company process standards and achieve ≥80% compliance with these processes.
Experience and Education Requirements
- 15+ years of building and scaling software technology companies, including taking at least one company from seven to eight figures revenue.
- Leadership experience spanning US defense contracting.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- Excellent written and oral communications and listening skills. Strong written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- A DoD Secret Security clearance is required (an active clearance issued/renewed within past 5-6 years is preferred).
- Master degree preferred.
- Formal sales or project management training and/or certifications.
- Experience in potential commercial customer domains (e.g., business continuity, regulatory compliance, eDiscovery, or similar).
- Former senior military or civilian experience.
- Training and/or certifications in Defense System Acquisition Management (DoD Directive 5000.01 and DoD Instruction 5000.02) and/or the Joint Capabilities Implementation and Development System (JCIDS).
- Working knowledge of Agile software development methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban.
- An existing TS/SCI security clearance is preferred.
Modus Operandi, Inc. is an EEO / AA / Disability / Vet Employer