Skip to Content

Preventing Cost and Schedule Overruns with Requirements Management

The US Government loses millions of dollars annually due to cost and schedule overruns of major platform programs. These impacts to budgets, schedules and program outcomes derive from poorly understood requirements, difficulties gathering and aligning stakeholder needs and downstream impacts of requirements or design changes.

Missile, aircraft, and other major platforms have thousands of design requirements that originate with a Commander’s intent and manifest as the hardware in the silo, on the runway or on the ground. Procuring and maintaining the platform – hardware and software – through its lifecycle requires a careful understanding and management of the platform’s engineering requirements to assure their understanding and implementation from conception to formalized acceptance testing. According to Modus Operandi’s missile platform customers, the root cause of ~56% of requirements defects is the result of poorly written, unclear, ambiguous, or incorrect requirements. The remaining ~44% are due to incomplete and omitted requirements.  And 82% of application rework tasks are related to requirements errors.

Our Requirements Management solutions apply our Movia™ knowledge management software to greatly reduce cost and schedule overruns on major defense programs by using Movia to understand and flag the impacts of design changes or issues to the program. Our solutions provide an early understanding of design deficiencies, conflicts and changes during the requirements analysis and definition phase. This early detection and resolution can greatly reduce cost and schedule overruns caused by vague, incomplete, erroneous or changing design inputs to the program requirements.

Our requirements management solutions can also be applied to a broad range of requirements/compliance intensive problem domains, such as the management of CMMC / NIST 800-171 cyber security requirements.

Capabilities include the following:

  • Collaborative stakeholder requirements capture and management
  • Impact analysis of changes to save time and cost and reduce risks associated with downstream changes
  • Workflow support of digital requirements packages, change management and review processes
  • Compressed/accelerated requirements and design document update cycles
  • Rapid assembly of specifications, compliance matrices, audits, and similar reports from document objects (Object-Based Production)

Contact Modus Operandi today to learn how you identify the down-stream impacts of requirement and engineering changes to your program and prevent unseen cost and schedule overruns.